Employment Documents You Need to Start a New Job

Employment Documents You Need to Start a New Job

Employment Documents You Need to Start a New Job – Before you start a new job, you’ll need to complete a fair amount of paperwork, including job application forms, tax documents, and employment verification.

To make the process run smoothly, it helps to have these employment forms completed prior to receiving an offer. At the very least, knowing which forms you’ll need to fill out will ease your transition to employment.

A glitch such as missing documentation could stall the hiring process. You may need to order some forms, look up information such as dates of past employment, or download documents from the IRS site.

If you don’t have the original documentation that you’ll need before an employer can put you on the payroll, get your copies now, so you’ll be ready to start work immediately once you get a job offer.

Employment Documents You Need to Start a New Job

Employment Forms You May Need to Get Hired

The following documents may be required for your future employment. Learn more about each one and how you can get your forms right away. Make copies and have them ready for each job opportunity you wish to pursue.

Job Application Forms

Many employers require prospective candidates to fill out job applications, so they have documentation of relevant experience and education. This applies to all levels of employment, from entry-level jobs to high-level professional positions.

Applicants will need to provide details and dates of past employment and education, as well as credentials and certifications.

Job application forms come from the companies themselves. In some cases, you’ll need to go directly to the company, but many companies offer their job application forms online or allow you to complete the application online.

The application form may be all you need to apply, but you may be required to provide college transcripts or other proof of your degree. So, it’s a good idea to have copies of those documents on hand, as well.

W-2 Forms From Previous Employers

Prospective employers may ask for copies of your W-2 forms to verify your previous compensation before making a job offer. This may present you with an uncomfortable situation, and it may not always be in your best interest to comply or may not be permitted by law.1

W-4 Forms

The W-4 form is completed by an employee so the employer can withhold the correct amount of federal income tax from your pay. When you are hired for a new job, you will be required to complete a W-4 form to let your employer know how much tax to withhold.

The employer may provide you with a W-4 or you can get one online from the IRS site and have it ready to go.

I-9 Forms

When you’re hired for a new job, you’ll be required to prove that you’re legally entitled to work in the United States. You’ll need to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9 Form) and the employer will keep the form on file.

Please note that you’ll also need to produce original documentation that verifies your eligibility to work.
You’ll need a photo ID such as a passport, driver’s license, or state ID, as well as a document proving you are in the U.S. legally, such as an original or notarized birth certificate and/or Social Security card.

What Is E-Verify?

The E-Verify system allows employers to document and confirm the eligibility of employees to work in the United States by comparing the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Form) information supplied by all workers to Social Security Administration, Homeland Security, and Department of State records. The employer will handle this once you’ve presented the proper documentation.2

How to Replace Lost Documents

Now that you know what documents you need, you might find that one or more are missing. Here’s the info you’ll need to replace any missing documents:

  • Replace a lost passport by contacting the U.S. Department of State.
  • To replace a Social Security card, you’ll need to fill out an application online or provide certain documentation at your local Social Security office.
  • You can order copies of past W-2 forms from the IRS or previous employers.
  • If you can’t find your driver’s license, you’ll need to check with your state Department of Motor Vehicles for instructions on how to apply for a replacement license.
  • If you don’t have your college transcripts, you can request copies of your transcript from the Registrar’s Office at your college or university. You can do this in person, by phone, or online.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.